Peter Sumarsono, D.D.S.
Family Dentistry, Implant, and Orthodontics
Post Operative Care Instructions For Surgical Procedures
Proper care of the mouth following most dental procedures and reduce complications and speed the healing of the surgical area.
- Protection of the blood clot ... maintain gentle pressure by biting on the gauze sponge that has been placed over the surgical area, or by biting on a tea bag which has been gently moistened and wrapped in a piece of gauze. Keep steady firm pressure for 45 minutes. Repeat as often as needed.
- Do not Rinse ... or use a mouthwash for at least 24 hours. After 24 hours rinse with warm salt water (the use of commercial mouth washes during the healing period is not encouraged.)
- Discomfort ... following dental surgery it is normal to experience some discomfort. If medication has been given or prescribed, take as instructed.
- The toothbrush ... may be carefully used in the area of the mouth not involved by surgical procedures. A clean mouth heals faster.
- Eating ... adequate food and fluid intake following surgical and/or general extractions is most important. If you find that eating your regular diet is too difficult you may supplement your diet with liquids such as Carnation Instant Breakfast. The high quality and nutritional value is important for prompt healing following such procedures. Should you be able to chew solid foods of any nature, for several days or longer, follow a nutritionally balance liquid diet.
- Avoid ... all excessive activity, don't pick at the surgical area, don't consume liquids through a straw, avoid alcoholic beverages and refrain from smoking until healing is well established.
- Sutures... if they wre used, do not fail to return for their removal on the appointment date given.
- Control of swelling ... gently apply ice packs to the area for periods of 20 minutes on, 10 minutes off. This procedures should continue for the first 24 hours only.
- Allergic reactions ... for generalized rash, itching, ect. Call dentist immediately.
- Do not hesitate ... to call or text if any questions arise. 714-864-8261